Thursday, September 13, 2012

Where I work at home


I know that people like seeing how others live, and many of my friends have never visited my house, so I thought I would show you part of it. This is the front living room. I just brought in a bunch of potted petunias so it looks a bit like a florist's. Cats, dog toys, overturned books and all.




This is the back living room. It used to be a calf shed attached to the main house. I renovated it and put in all these windows and french doors, redid the floors, walls, ceiling, everything. It faces north, and has a library behind it to the left.


A better view of the previous room looking toward the library which you can just see in the center, behind the french doors. There is a mastiff asleep on the carpet in there.


This is my workroom, mostly for sewing and the "clean" arts (i.e. not painting which I do in the kitchen, in a later post perhaps).


The opposite wall of my workroom. It has my new embroidery machine on it.


The center wall of my workroom. It was two little bedrooms but I knocked out the central wall. It faces south. My Bernina sewing machine is there. I have a serger too.


My serger.


The rack of embroidery threads and my cutting board. And a big stack of plastic boxes containing skeins of yarn.


The latest thing I've embroidered. It's going to be a baguette bag as well (I call it that because it's so long it would be good for bringing back fresh baguette if there was a french bakery nearby). It's made of soft old sailcloth, cotton canvas.


A bag I made... it's a finished "baguette", it's also of soft sailcloth with burlap trim. It has some french embroidery on it, two swallows on the front, with script. I did all the embroidery on my new Janome 350SE.


A fleur de lis on the back


It's lined with vintage curtain material


This is another bag, a big bag for carrying laundry, or clothes, something where you need a big open bag. It's a heavier sailcloth, cotton canvas. It's lined with the same vintage curtains. I embroidered a pair of bees in the lining



                                                    I added embroidery to the facings



            This is the front of the bag.  It has a rose tattoo on the front, and a lucky horseshoe on the back.
                                                  






See you again soon!

1 comment:

M D said...

Wow, amazing embroidery and a cozy place you have there Roberta! Nifty bags and the bees are apropos.
(- A couple of weeks ago I had a lime drink while outside in a park. As i took a swig something crawled on my tongue that i knew wasn't supposed to be there, after a spit-take I could see a hornet (-now green!) had crawled into the can. We both lived through it!. Glad I didn't swallow the darn thing!)