Monday, May 21, 2012

Little Ones

I went out to check on the llamas and brought back some pictures of the newborns for you. This little boy was born about 5 days ago.



This little boy was born two weeks ago. Compare him to the black cria and you can see how quickly they grow!


This little one (I think it's a girl but I couldn't be sure yet) was just born a few hours ago. Her mom has beautiful long hair like a Suri.


The aunties from last year came to check me out.


This little brown girl has unusual coloring for my herd, a lot like a vicuna. She reached out to say hi.


Here's the baby.


I took the dogs on a separate walk and we checked out the duck pond. I was trying to identify the ducks there.


We caught a glimpse of the owl again.


Here are some of the waterfowl. I identified Soras, ruddy ducks and redheads, but I know there are more by the calls they make.


The air is so fresh and because it is quite dry we have few mosquitoes now, which makes walking around a real pleasure. While I was in the woods I could smell something that reminded me of frankincense, a woody, sweet smell that is very evocative of mystery and antiquity. I remember buying frankincense once at a Greek store on the Danforth, where they sold nuggets of it for incense, in little jars by the cash register.

4 comments:

Suja said...

Beautiful babies. Thanks for sending their pics. How many llamas do you have now? Are they self-sufficient except for food? What kind of care do they require - especially the brand new ones? Do you help with the birthing, or does it all happen on its own?

Rofa said...

I have about 40 llamas now. They are pretty self-sufficient, especially in the summer. In the winter they come up to the barn and I feed them hay for 6 months. I've only had to intervene once in a birth, they are usually able to manage on their own. The new ones just need to find their mama and feed within 14 hours or so to get the colostrum, and they can usually do that on their own. It can be a little difficult for some of the babies to find their way up to the udders (which are high up and invisible unless you get down on your knees behind the female and look up to her tummy), but eventually they manage. You have to be patient and not intervene too much since that can upset everyone.

Marko@Northland said...

nice pictures Roberta. It's hot and dry here in North Ontario but the rain is coming.

M D said...

Thanks for sharing these, you got quite close to the owl - so great!
best!