Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Llama and the Lion

I decided to do some fiber processing today since we finally got some sunshine and above freezing temperatures. I had a llama fleece that I had sheared from one of the boys last summer but I hadn't got around to washing. So I loaded it into the top-loader. I wash it in hot water with a 2in1 shampoo and conditioner. I fill the washer and let it soak. It cannot agitate or that fluffy fiber will felt into an unusable blob. After it has soaked for a while, I put it into spin. I repeat this process as often as is needed to get the fleece clean.
Kylie very patiently posed as a lion.


Then finally as Samuel Pepys.  She is very patient with me.
Once the fleece is clean it will be dried and then carded, and I will try my hand at spinning it. I'm not a very practised spinner, I need to work on it a bit and this fleece will be perfect.  This is my little Polish Kromski Mazurka spinning wheel.

I will have to hand card it with carding boards since my crank carder is buried in the barn at the moment.  Well, I can't spin very quickly anyhow. Here we are living in the 18th century all over again. But it has its joys -- one is the smell of llamas -- they have a sweet goatlike smell, a bit like chevre.
Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

M D said...

Ha! you have created a version of the Tibetan Mastiff see here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/16/pass-notes-tibetan-mastiff