Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Llamas in the Mist


We woke up to another day of dense fog. It's like Dian Fossey, or Nicole Kidman's character in The Others (good movie). Either way it feels a bit like being dead.
Rather than venture on the roads, we're doing some work at home, waiting for the fog to lift -- it may not, according to the forecast we may have a possibility of a chance of thundershowers.
"Forecasters" know how to hedge their predictions, don't they? Now they do it with percentages, as if they're bookies. What does 30% chance of precipitation really mean, to us, the non-betting "laymen"? Isn't it just applying numbers to degrees of vagueness, so that you can't say, "well they said it would rain and it didn't". Now all you can say is "well, they gave odds 3 to 1 that it might rain and it may have rained somewhere in the vicinity, so they may not have been altogether incorrect".
How useful is this for extreme weather? Living on a farm, you sometimes really need to know the forecast so you can take evasive action with a herd of animals. You need some lead time. Hearing that there is a 65% chance of tornados isn't helpful. And out here, they pretend to give you the forecast for your region, but instead, give you a forecast for the nearest metropolitan airport, which is usually pretty far off relevant. Well at least I'll know if a tornado is headed for the airport 85 kms away. I'll just make sure the animals don't travel Air Canada that day.
Moving on. I have a new email advisor today. His name is Spookey and he's a wonderful mini-panther that was brought to me by a neighbour whose daughters couldn't keep/didn't want to take care of him anymore. He's very friendly, solid muscle, excellent hunter. He's brought gophers to the door a few times, so we know he goes in for Big Game. A smoocher too, he was attempting to lick my cheek when I was trying to take his photo. Kind of difficult to take pictures of a shiny black face like his, plus he was squirming a lot trying to get really close for a hug. This is the best picture I could get, all the others made him look like an alien or a blur. Not wanting to fuel the fire of ailurophobia, I opted for the best I could get.

And in the Cute category, here's Kylie. As one of the Cops on the premises, she was kept awake with guard duty last night. That slim horned moon that appeared over the northwest horizon last night (I wish I could have taken a picture it was big and very defined for such a sliver) caused all the coyotes in the woods to call and call. The fog that started last night is a powerful sound conductor, and up here on the hill we could hear everything that was going on in the valley -- owls, coyotes, small rodents, rustling, a thundering train. The cops here find this alarming, and have to investigate constantly until I can bear no more, and call them in to listen to music for a while. They eventually go to sleep once I tell them it's OK. But Kylie had to patrol for a few hours before bedtime, so she making up for it now.

And finally, here is my new dressmaker's mannequin, straight from New York. Isn't the internet great, it can take you anywhere, even when it's foggy and you're stuck in the middle of nowhere.
She's wearing the top I've been working on since last week -- it's a pattern from http://www.stitchdiva.com/ called "Labyrinth", and it's made with a microfibre ribbon yarn purchased on line from http://www.elann.com/. The pattern is very easy -- it's worked from the top down, so you try it on as you go, or you put it on Miss Lemon, who is conveniently the same size as moi.
The yarn is "light and frothy" as they said, but it really rubs the tips of my fingers into numbness. [Maybe now would be a good time to start learning to play the guitar.] Anyway, the finished garment fits really well, and the knitted fabric is very elastic and light as a feather. I'm working on long sleeves for it, I should have this whole thing done only 2 weeks from beginning it. The pattern was downloaded online; I highly recommend their patterns. Very professionally published in .pdf. And since it's a download, you pay no tax or duty or shipping/handling. It's not as cheap as buying a pattern in a magazine, but I think it was worth it, because I learned a new method for making something, and it's a method I will use over and over.

1 comment:

M D said...

Spookey and Kylie are so sweet - your "Judy" looks cool too, you have so much discipline to work that kind of detail. I'm guessing it a bit meditative to do and that your blue top is all but done by now!