Thursday, March 13, 2008

Suja Socks


These socks are called "Suja" after my friend Susanne who lives near Haliburton. The colors remind me of old-timey courier de bois or Algonquin sashes, something north country.

I'm going to use these colors in a jacket I'm designing that references First Nations' buckskins.

This yarn was by OnLine, from my now extinct LYS. It's a superwash sock yarn, and it wears and washes really well for those sockmakers among us. I knit up almost the whole 100 gm skein, in my usual toe-up, single long circular method (the only way to do it, it's so much easier than dpns). I like to use up all the yarn, so my socks are longer than most, but hey it keeps your legs warmer in winter, doesn't it?
The books on the left just came in-- you see I have a book addiction. Every spring I have the compulsion to find out something new, and now with internet book stores, it's all too easy to browse and buy before you've even had breakfast. One of my favorite sites is http://www.bookcloseouts.com/ which is a Canadian book clearance house. Nevertheless, I purchased these from Amazon. I'm particularly interested in the cob house building book. It's a hefty read, there appears to be a huge amount of information in this book, plus some good color photographs, and many pencil sketches. I'm eager to try this method of building-- I think I'll start small with a henhouse or maybe a garden structure or greenhouse. I want to see how a cob building will feel here in midwinter, before I commit to building a cabin in the woods.
The appeal of building something that blends into the landscape, and for really really little money, with materials that are truly eco friendly and at this point somewhat experimental, is huge. Plus it lends itself to building in remote locations, and I have a great site on the property for a cabin that is not too easily accessible by car. Great for painting or birdwatching.
Here's to spring and all the new beginnings!

No comments: