Monday, September 26, 2011

The Golden Month


We have had exceptional weather this fall. After a cold wet summer, we have been treated to a few weeks in September that has been wonderful. Although the valley below me did see frost at the beginning of the month, this year it has spared me up on the hill long enough to let my gorgeous Mammoth Russian sunflowers come into bloom.

They are now about 10 feet tall, so tall that they are impossible to cover, although one night after dark I went down to their garden and tried to fling sheets over them to protect them from frost. After decapitating one, I managed to clip sheets and towels around the others from the neck down and left them standing like a group of ghosts not knowing what to do at a party.

The geography here is characterized as Aspen Parkland. That means we have some boreal forest mixed with aspen, poplar, birch and maple, set within grasslands. Look at the natural beauties of fall within these deciduous forests. These are wild areas. Look at the variety of colors!





Here the ripe barley has a backdrop of wild color. There is a cougar living in our valley which is rarely seen. I met a man last month who said his dog came back after going missing for four days with its ear ripped off and four huge gashes along its side. The vet who gave the dog 60 stitches said it was probably a cougar that was responsible. I'm a bit more careful now on my walks in the back. Cougars have been known to attack riders on horses if they happen to be above them. They are so stealthy that they are difficult to avoid, though I'm sure they prefer to remain hidden in the trees where there are plenty of deer and other wild game.


The maple tree in front of my house is covered with so many seed pods that it appears to be yellow.

In the last few weeks I've seen many snakes and salamanders. The weather has been warm, so they've been active, along with the larger dragonflies who show up in late August, replacing their smaller cousins.

Notice that the end of the rainbow is in my barn. Maybe there is a pot of gold there, under all the llama manure. I guess I'll find it when I do the fall cleaning in October. Lucky me!



1 comment:

M D said...

Just gorgeous!Thanks for sharing these. The sunflowers are amazing! We've just had a beautiful week of sunny mild weather. The garden here seemed to run a bit late - our sunflowers out back grew tall but not as hearty this year and haven't seen any rainbows either! Summer for me ended last week when the apple tree in front of my window was raided, nearly 20 fully ripe apples were taken by a crazy lady and her little son (the squirrels got most of the others before that). All within a minute they hurried to fill a knapsack set between them on the ground. I asked what she was doing from my window and she, grabbed the kid's hand unfurled an umbrella laughed a crazy laugh and ran out of the yard with the apples. Who does that?