Sunday, January 9, 2011

Beautiful Coyote

The weather is bad -- blowing snow, over one foot of accumulation in 24 hours, temperatures at minus 16 with a windchill of minus 29.  I have an 8 foot tall drift behind the snow fence on the north side of the yard.  It's growing at about one foot every 2 hours.
I have a lot of snow to shovel today, I think I'm snowed in. There is about a 100 yard drift that I have to get through to get my car out of the driveway for tomorrow. Unfortunately the wind hasn't stopped so I will have to get out there soon while it's still daylight and throw the snow wind and all.  Sadly my little snowthrowing tractor had a heart attack and is unable to help me-- it will require a mechanic to visit to set it right.

I love coyotes. We have a good relationship -- they have never hurt my small animals (baby llamas, cats) and they do a welcome job of keeping down the gopher population.
Last week one of my old roosters died, and I left his body in the snow, and now a small coyote clan comes by to check and see what else might be lying around.  Sometimes I give them eggs when I have too many or they are too soiled for humans.

I had the same relationship with raccoons in Toronto -- I used to leave leftovers outside my patio door for them instead of putting them in the garbage. Once I handed one a piece of pizza at the back door, which it took and then gently touched my hand with his in thanks. My trash can was never vandalized, although my neighbours' were.  I'm sure the neighbouring humans wouldn't have liked my charity, but I don't care. Raccoons were my neighbours too, and generally preferable to some of the noisy and otherwise obnoxious people that lived there.

Here is my friend, coming by to check out the food situation.








I can never understand how people who claim to love dogs can dislike these animals.  They are beautiful and intelligent, keep to themselves pretty much. They're only trying to find a meal, and when it's 40 below I can't begrudge them a snack. The mastiffs do though.  It's all competition for food, isn't it?

1 comment:

M D said...

Really great shots of your friend! Sorry to hear about the relentless snow. It's bitter cold here but bearable unless you come upon a wind tunnel near tall buildings.

I've been enjoying a visit from a big falcon who has been travelling the exact same path, north and south, over the roof of the yellow house next door this past week. It will sometimes stay in the tree behind but only for an hour or so. The birds seem to keep moving to stay warm. Hope you got the snow thingy fixed, hang in the Roberta!