Monday, November 1, 2010

Chicken Tractor and Sunset

This picture was taken last month -- it's the chicken tractor I built.  I didn't need to use it this year because we had so much rain that there was plenty of pasture and grass for the chickens in their regular enclosure. The thing about this tractor is that it is collapsible -- the roof comes off, and the walls are held together with piano hinge.  I built it this way because I needed an emergency shelter last winter (or so I thought) because two flocks of chickens were not getting along.  When we got blisteringly cold weather last winter, I was forced to move the chickens into the same coop -- and since they suddenly were getting along, I didn't need to house them in this.  The reason it was collapsible was that I needed to put it in my heated shop which has a doorway of only 36 inches.
It rests on a 4x4 platform with 8" wheels so I can tow it around the yard or pasture.

This summer I made this little guy. 


Here's the sky last week near sunset.




Tonight as I walked around the yard after dark (it gets dark here by 730 or so) I could hear big flocks of birds flying overhead. Whenever they fly by I wish them a safe journey out of range of hunters and other dangers.  For a beautiful experience that you will not forget, see the film Winged Migration.  It's a monument of nature documentary film-making.  You will wonder how it was made, it is so incredible.

No comments: