Monday, May 4, 2009

How We Cut Grass



Daytona, the Prince of Darkness, and his friends Rusty and Bridges are all helping me cut the grass.

I woke up this morning to all three of them lying around my front steps. I had left a gate unlatched last night after their evening visit, and one of them opened it overnight. I found all three laying down like three big watch dogs around the front step. I keep the driveway gates locked at all times now so that they won't inadvertantly be left open, and they kept the boys safe inside. If you ever visit a farm, remember that the primo rule is: ALWAYS LOCK GATES BEHIND YOU.




I don't know if you can see what the palomino Bridges is doing, but he's raiding the birdfeeder. Aside from mowing my lawn, I mean. I let the three amigos out every day to chomp the few acres of lawn for me. It gives us time to visit and it saves me getting out the tractor for a boring 2 hour job!


See the dedication. And I don't care what boys think, there's no lawn mowin' contraption invented by man as beautiful as these.



That's Rusty, who is nursing a bad tendon. I think he had a run-in with some wire, he was cut on the back of his foot pretty badly. However, he's coming along well, though he will be sore for a few months. Note the birdfeeder in background, with the little wooden structure lying on the grass. Once the boys found out there's seed available there, they make a beeline everytime across the lawn to check it out before starting on the ho hum grass. One of them flung the actual feeder down, leaving the more-easily-dealt-with platform.

Bring in Your Violets!
I bought these today for planting in the patio pots but that will have to wait a few days since the forecast calls for freezing nights. They are filling my living room with a sweet perfume. I recommend having pansies and violets either in the house, or near seating areas, their scent is wonderful!!

Have a wonderful evening, and give your animal companions a hug for me!

1 comment:

M D said...

enough freezing nights for you already, oy!