Monday, December 1, 2008

Northern Front

This is a cold front moving in from the North. Right now, at 9 pm, we're having high winds, and the temperature has dropped from plus 5 to minus 9 within two hours. We're expecting either freezing rain or some snow overnight... and at sunset we could just see the front coming.



I miss my garden. I know it has to sleep for the winter, but I miss all the quiet excitement of new growth, and the smell of damp earth, and the colors and flavours and scents it gives. I was intrigued by a device called an Aerogarden that I saw advertised. I checked it out online, and found that there are several models to choose from – however they mostly come from the USA (although you can find one of the smaller versions at Canadian Tire, just not at my locations out here in the country). I decided I wanted to try hydroponics again, so I dusted off my copy of The Hydroponic Gardener, and built this little garden.
I used my pond pump, two plastic containers that stack, some pex pipe, two brass elbows, one copper tee and two plugs, plus some cleaned pea gravel. I drilled holes in the base of the top container, and holes in the pex pipes that I cut to fit, and voila! A container garden!
I planted it with lettuce, basil, nasturtiums and spinach last Sunday, and already seeds have germinated. I’ve added a full spectrum light to supplement our short daylight. Missy's checking it out.



I want to supplement not only my diet, but the diet of the animals too-- my birds and hens both love fresh lettuce and this way I'll be able to pick it for them as often as I want.


















In the meantime, we're all inside getting cozy by the fire while the wind tries to blow the house down.

Remember, when the going gets tough, the tough curl up together on the sofa.



1 comment:

M D said...

But will kitty let those seedlings grow, or will they be gone by sun up? The cold front has indeed made its way here too. Definitely snugglin', soup and sweater weather. Hope all's well with you there RF!