Monday, November 10, 2008

Wednesday sky




How beautiful is this?

This is a photo taken from my back porch, straight from the camera, no photoshopping or colorization.

My house has views like this all around it, from every window there is a magnificent scene. It's like living in a gallery, where all the art is changing constantly around me. It is so good for the mind to be surrounded by natural beauty like this all the time. I can't even quantify the changes it creates in my outlook -- I only know that I would find it almost impossible to live without it now.



On a more mundane level, here is my latest project -- it's a cotton pullover with a Viking design at the neckline. I'm making it up as I go along. It's knit from the top down with raglan sleeves (it will be long-sleeved) so I just try it on as I go. It's good plain movie-watching knitting for the most part.

Knitting is very meditative, perhaps the best kind of meditation for a pragmatist like myself, because I don't have the nagging feeling in the back of my mind that sitting still is wasting time.
I realized this year that colour is very important to me -- I look for color all the time, and find it inspiring.

Here are some yarns I bought online -- they have magnificent colors in them -- they're Araucania Magallanes, from Chile. This color mix reminds me of the winter sky. The one below it reminds me of autumn. I saw those colors, the reds, wines and greens echoed over and over in the autumn landscape, from the marigolds that were going to seed on my front porch, to the rhubarb that was dying a stately death in the back garden.

































2 comments:

M D said...

Amazing sky, (great to see), and very nifty neckline too (-perplexing to me how that's done!). In these parts we've mostly had grey cloudy skies - your colourful world definitely wins best in show. Hope all's well with you there Roberta!

Knitting Alchemist said...

Your pictures are breathtaking. Lucky you to have such views everyday! I live in Devon, so I see the beautiful river valley change colours in the fall. It's like living in a post card.

I too gain much from the beauty and colour around me. As far as yarn goes, I'm drawn in by the colour, and overcome by the texture.